I didn’t write yesterday because the day job ran too late, and today it’s the day before Thanksgiving, so it won’t be until evening that I will have time to write. (I’m writing this on lunch break at the day job.)
On the other hand, comparing notes with my colleagues at NaNo and elsewhere, I have the following points of gratitude:
- My partner and I don’t feel the obligation to do the usual Thanksgiving (no giant turkey, no overeating, no football or shopping).
- I have the time off, unlike the people who have to work retail. (And that’s a whole other essay on the current state of the culture.)
- I may not be rich, but I’m not poor either. My day job doesn’t eat my soul, and I learn new and interesting things there.
- For the first time in decades, I have real writing colleagues both locally and globally.
- I’m doing the things I want to do: writing, publishing, art.
- I’m a very lucky person.