Each Sunday, Weekend Writing Warriors offers a selection of eight-sentence excerpts from writers in multiple genres and forms. Check out the full roster here.

***

Skimmer-flight isn’t quite the same as rowing or riding. I expected more of it, but I think it’s not the same for me. I can’t forget myself in effort. Yes, the ground drops away, but it’s not as if my own muscles and bones made that happen.

Sweat-blinded, I row through the ache, I push to the point where exhilaration and pain are the same thing, where I am floating in a daze of endorphins, halfway between life and death in a divine dissociation.

Yes. That’s the place.

Anything that will take me there, I want.

***

Losing oneself in the effort is the real draw. From character interviews for upcoming project,The Clone’s Complaint (NaNo 2016).

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Weekend Writing Warriors: Sunday 28 August 2016 (character interview for The Clone’s Complaint)

1. Ed Hoornaert says:

Love your second paragraph. It’s a grand evocation of going ‘beyond the wall’.

2. nancygideon says:

Wow!! Yanks you right into a wealth of sensations. I’m exhausted . . . and exhilarated. Great snippet!

3. Enjoyed the excerpt and the character’s arrival at the desired mental state through exertion. (Plus I love to row.) Your prose is always so effective!

4. Beautiful descriptions, as usual!

5. Botanist says:

This brought back memories. I used to row – had to be the most painful sport I ever tried! It’s true, we value achievements more if we have to work for them.

6. Lovely, yet sad also. Why do they need dissociation?

7. Karen Michelle Nutt says:

Wonderful imagery. Definitely have to work for a goal to make it worthwhile.

8. Rin-Rin says:

Another interesting snippet. Can’t wait for when the book is finished. 🙂

9. Diane Burton says:

Great imagery. Really hooks the reader.

10. Gorgeous snippet. I love the imagery, and the introspection

11. It’s all about the zone, baby! This runner LOVED the imagery!

12. Beautiful description and something about that last line… Great snippet!